Terms and Conditions
It is important that the customer (you) read and understand these terms before you sign the rental agreement. These are the terms under which the vehicle is rented to you by Skye Car Hire and on which any insurance cover is provided for you by us.
Drivers must be between the ages of 23 & 75 with a full licence held for at least two years. No drink driving, dangerous driving or reckless driving offences accepted. Any other endorsements will be accepted only at the discretion of our insurers, please check before booking. It is the hirers responsibility to ensure that he/she has the appropriate licence.
Where possible, you will receive your vehicle with a full tank and you must return it to the level at which it was received. We reserve the right to fuel any vehicle returned short of fuel and charge it to the card supplied on the rental agreement.
Hire includes fully comprehensive insurance. A £500 excess applies and requires to be guaranteed by credit card.
The hirer is responsible for the full cost of punctures, damage to wheels, wheel trims, tyres, windscreen damage, lost or broken keys and any damage due to negligence.
You are liable for any fines or parking tickets incurred during your hire and these will be added to your credit card.
Hirers are also responsible for ensuring correct levels of oil, water and tyre pressures during the rental period.
Vehicles are only covered for use on classified roads. Damage to undercarriage of vehicles due to off road use must also be paid in full by hirer.
Costs / damage incurred by the use of incorrect fuel must be paid for in full by the hirer.
The hirer is responsible for the damage repair amount up to the value of the compulsory excess, in respect of each and every incident involving the hired vehicle.
We shall be under no liability whatsoever, whether in contract, tort or otherwise for any consequential or business loss arising out of or in connection with this agreement or the use or control of any vehicle and you hereby agree to indemnify us for any loss or damage liability and expense incurred by us arising from your breach of this agreement.
You must pay us the rental charge, inclusive of any insurance provided by us and all other charges shown on the rental agreement plus any Value Added Tax. If you do not pay us money you owe us on time we will charge you interest until you do. We will charge interest at 4% per annum above Bank Of Scotland Bank base rate. You will also have to pay the losses and costs we run up whilst we are preparing, carrying out or trying to enforce these terms.
You acknowledge that the relevant mileage is the mileage recorded from the time the vehicle leaves the rental destination until its return to the drop off location. Hirers have a mileage allowance of 200 miles per day. Any mileage in excess of the above will result in a mileage charge of 10p per mile. If the Vehicle is rented by the customer for a continuous period in excess of 28 days a mileage allowance of 2,000 will apply per 28 days. All Hires should not exceed 90 days in total unless the vehicle paperwork is reopened by Skye Car Hire.
When you book your vehicle rental you are entering into a legally binding contract.
Skye Car Hire levy a charge of £45 for cancellation of a booking within 14 days of the hire start date. No refunds will be given for late collections, no shows or cancellations made after the rental start date.
Cancellations should be made by phone and followed up by e-mail.
Restrictions on Using the Vehicle
You hereby warrant that you will not allow the following people to drive the vehicle:
Anyone whom we have not first approved in writing as a driver of the vehicle.
Anyone who has been convicted of any drink driving offence, whose driving ability is affected through drink or drugs or is a person who has been convicted of driving under the influence of drugs.
Anyone who has been convicted of manslaughter (or in Scotland culpable homicide) or causing death by dangerous driving.
Anyone whose driving ability is impaired by physical or mental disability.
Anyone who has been convicted of any motoring (except parking offences) in the last three years unless full details have been given to us and we agree to them.
Anyone who has been involved in any road traffic accident in the last three years unless you give us full details and we agree to them.
Anyone who is not qualified to do so or does not have a valid, full driving licence.
You must not allow the vehicle to be used:
For carrying fare paying passengers.
For hire or for other reward.
For driving tuition.
For racing, pace making, speed trials or any other sporting competitions.
For any illegal purpose.
For the carrying, keeping or concealing of any goods, materials or substances chargeable with a tax or duty which has not been paid or the payment of which is thereby sought to be avoided or in connection with the import or export of goods, materials or substances contrary to any prohibition or restriction.
While in an unroadworthy condition or while failing to comply with any statutory provision.
To tow or push any other vehicle or trailer or in any way which contravenes the Highway Code, road traffic laws or any other laws.
When it is overloaded with luggage, goods or passengers.
For carrying corrosive, radioactive, inflammable, explosive or other harmful substances.
For carrying anything which, because of its smell or condition, will harm the vehicle or mean we lose time or money before we can again rent out the vehicle.
Outside the United Kingdom.
If you do not follow these terms you will have to pay us for any charges, damages, restoration costs and expenses we have to pay and any loss you cause.
What to do if the vehicle is stolen or damaged or you have an accident
If the vehicle or any of its parts or accessories is stolen or damaged, by a criminal act or if it is involved in an accident in which someone is injured, you must immediately contact the local Police to report the incident.
- You must telephone our rental office and report the incident within twenty four hours and give us the police incident details and any other information we ask for. Each of our vehicles contains a vehicle accident form for recording incident details.
- If following any incident the vehicle is not roadworthy or dangerous it must not be used.
You must always:
- Take the Police Crime Number and the reporting Officer’s name when the police are involved.
- Takes the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all witnesses when relevant.
- Avoid saying or doing anything which admits that the accident was your fault.
- Send to us at our office all papers and documents you receive about the accident or damage (including copies of any court papers and any legal documents).
- Fill in an Accident Report Form (supplied in your glove box) sign it and get it to us within 24 hours of the loss or damage otherwise the insurers may refuse to consider the claim.
- Co-operate fully with us, the insurers and anyone else we or the insurers appoint.
- Allow us or them to take legal action and or to enforce legal rights in your name.
- Do anything else which we or the insurers think is reasonably necessary to help us or them enforce our or their rights for loss or damage to the vehicle, its parts or accessories while you were renting it.
- If you receive any money in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle and/or it spares and accessories you must pay this to us and until you do, hold it as trustee for us.Failure to comply with these obligations will render you liable for all claims, costs and losses.RoadworthinessIf you have followed these terms we will try to replace or repair the vehicle but we will not be liable for your own loss or damage including loss of profit or earnings unless the law says that we cannot exclude or restrict our liability to you for this.
- When the rental starts the vehicle will be roadworthy and fit for normal use. If it is not, or if it becomes un-roadworthy or unfit for normal use during the rental you must inform the rental office.
Responsibility for the vehicle and its return
You and any driver we approve must always drive the vehicle carefully and considerately. You must not sell or lend it or allow anyone else to have or obtain any possession or rights over it. Upon return the vehicle together with all its accessories and parts must be in good repair and condition (apart from reasonable wear and tear). All damage due to your negligence will be chargeable to you not withstanding any excess amount procured.
Where you ask us and we agree to deliver the vehicle or to collect the vehicle, you will have to pay additional charges and follow additional instructions.
- You will be responsible for the vehicle, its accessories and its parts and fully liable under these terms of rental from the moment we give you the keys, or we leave them or the vehicle at the place and time which we have arranged with you in advance. You continue to be responsible and fully liable under these terms of rental until the vehicle and keys are returned to us by handing them to our authorized representative or any other method previously approved by us.
- If you return the vehicle at any time outside our normal hours of business or at any other time when our representative is not available to inspect it you will be responsible for it until we do inspect it.
- When you return the vehicle to us or, where we have agreed you may do so, you leave the vehicle for collection by us you must record the details of the date and time of return, the mileage and fuel gauge reading. You must also do anything else which we request as a condition of our agreeing to collect the vehicle. You will be responsible for continued hire charges until the vehicle is collected.
- You are responsible for ensuring that any damage to the vehicle found on delivery is noted on the rental agreement. All vehicles are inspected before rental and again when they return from rental. You will be held responsible for any new damage found on the vehicle following its return from rental.
- If you do not return the vehicle to the agreed rental station within 30 minutes of the agreed time, or if it is not at the agreed collection point at the agreed time, you will be charged an extra day’s rental for each day or part of a day that the vehicle is overdue.
- Our vehicles are normally supplied with a full tank of fuel either at the start of rental, or if we have agreed to deliver the vehicle, when the delivery commences. If a vehicle is returned with less than a full tank of fuel, we will refill it and charge you for the fuel only. Where we have agreed to collect a vehicle, any fuel used between the collection address and our office is chargeable.
- You must return the vehicle immediately if we ask you to, although we hope this will never be necessary. In the event that the vehicle is not delivered to us upon request you hereby authorize us to enter onto your premises and to do any and all other things necessary to repossess the vehicle. Any costs associated with such repossession shall be for your account. We may repossess any vehicle without notice or liability where we deem that such repossession is necessary for our own protection.
- You must return the vehicle before the mileage reading exceeds the maximum allowable mileage as shown in the vehicle. Failure to do so may result in late return mileage penalties.
Responsibility for Your Property
We will not be responsible if your property (or anybody else’s) is damaged, lost or stolen while it is in the vehicle. You are responsible for our losses and expenses caused because you leave property in the vehicle at the end of the rental.
Road Traffic Acts and Other Laws
While you are renting the vehicle you will be liable, as if you were the owner, for any offence committed under the Road Traffic Acts and any other relevant loss in respect of the vehicle and its use during the rental period which results in the imposition of fixed penalties or excess charges. You hereby authorize us to pass through to you any notice or proceedings received by us relating to a period during which the vehicle was rented to you. You hereby agree to respond to and settle any notice or proceedings so received and to indemnify us against any liabilities or expenses incurred hereunder, For example, you might have to pay a fixed penalty or pay an excess charge for:
- Driving or parking in the dark without the required lights.
- Parking or waiting where it is not allowed.
- Not paying the right amount for parking at a meter or in a car park. Under the Road Traffic Act 1991 – Sections 66.76. And Schedule 6 (as amended).
Charge Cards Credit Cards and Debit Cards
WHEN YOU SIGN THE RENTAL AGREEMENT, OR WHEN YOU DO NOT SIGN A RENTAL AGREEMENT, WHEN RENTAL COMMENCES YOU ARE GIVING US AND THE CARD PROVIDER PERMISSION TO CHARGE YOUR CARD WITH MONEY PAYABLE BY YOU UNDER THESE TERMS TOGETHER WITH PROVISION FOR ANY DEPOSIT DEEMED NECESSARY.
- If you do not follow these terms and the vehicle or any of its parts and accessories is lost or damaged, you will be responsible. You will also be responsible for any financial loss we suffer as a result and for any relevant claims made by other people you agree to pay any amounts we spend enforcing these terms.
- You (or any other authorized driver) shall not be acting as agent, servant or employee for us in any circumstances. We will be entitled to treat anyone acting or claiming to act on your instructions as your agent. The rental is personal to you and you cannot transfer your part of any agreement.
- If two or more persons are named on the Rental Agreement each of them will be jointly and severally liable in full for all our charges and for following their terms.
- The entire terms between us for the rental of the vehicle are contained in the Rental Agreement and in these terms. All rentals which include delivery or collection of the vehicle are also subject to additional terms and conditions applicable to deliveries and collections.
- If the vehicle is stolen, lost, destroyed or damaged during your rental, your responsibilities to us remain unchanged and continue to apply.
- If you and we agree, or a court of law decides, that one of these terms is illegal, not valid, or cannot be enforced, the term in question will be changed. In meantime the rest of these terms will still apply. If we cannot change the term in question to make it valid and enforceable the rest of the terms will continue without it. In either case, the change will apply on the date we agree or the Court decision is made.
- These terms can only be changed in writing by or with the written consent of a Director of Skye Car Hire.